Here’s a checklist to help you set up a program:
EMAIL MAREK to start the process …
Initial considerations include your location, participants, & possible dates. Programs typically book 6+ months ahead. You can check the COMICS CALENDAR to see if your preferred dates are available.
- PROGRAM OPTIONS:
Choose what kind of program you want to host, and look over the options:
- 1-day event (author visits, library/museum workshops, &c.)
- Multi-day Residency
- Remote Video Visit (via Skype/GoogleHangouts/&c.)
- Teacher Training / Professional Development Workshop
- Something else…?
- FUNDING OPTIONS:
Typical fee structure is: [per diem rate] + [RT mileage x $0.50 (or other travel rate)]
For day trips, mileage is calculated from Henniker, NH.
Rates vary widely; we’ll discuss that via email.
Marek is rostered with the following organizations, who provide grant funding for COMICS WORKSHOP programs:
- For NH SCHOOLS:
NH State Council on the Arts [grant info]
Listed on the Arts in Education & Community Arts Rosters via: CreativeGround.org
- For NH+VT SCHOOLS:
Children’s Literacy Foundation Author Visits [grant info]
- For NH NORTH COUNTRY Locations:
- NHH Grants for LIBRARIES, COMMUNITY ORGS:
“Comics in World History & Cultures” [About “Humanities To Go” grants]
Other regular sources of funding include local schools, PTAs, and community organizations like historical societies, Rotary clubs, &c.
- For NH SCHOOLS:
To PREPARE for your COMICS WORKSHOP:
Once you’re on the COMICS CALENDAR, it’s time to look into the following items:
- CURRICULUM INTEGRATION?:
Consider these CURRICULAR CONNECTIONS to integrate COMICS WORKSHOP with your ongoing programs & curriculum.
- PREVIEW MAREK’S WORK:
- You can print & share materials from my Printables & Free Stuff page…
- Also, I can send advance copies of my graphic novels & works in progress, as desired.
- COMICS WORKSHOP PREP BOOKLET = Download & print the PDF for some basic comics terms & formats to share with teachers & participants. (5.5″x8.5″, 8 pages)
- TOOLS & MATERIALS:
Use this basic TOOLS + MATERIALS guide to order your comics making supplies. (We use very simple & cheap materials; you probably already have a lot of them.)
- SPACE & EQUIPMENT NEEDS:
For details about setting up your hosting space, see our page: COMICS WORKSHOP FACILITIES >>
These PROMO POSTERS & GRAPHICS can help share & promote your event.
- JOIN COMICS WORKSHOP on SOCIAL MEDIA:
- BOOK ORDERS:
For participants who would like to order their own autographed copies of COMICS WORKSHOP graphic novels, here’s an order form with special school/non-profit prices available only to program hosts:
[School Order Forms >>]
I can leave the signed books at your location on the final day of the program, OR mail them afterwards by arrangement.