A graphic novel epic of the American Civil War… Drawn from the diaries & letters of the real people who lived it!
Vol. 1 : 1861-62 ➤
A Yankee schoolteacher goes to war! Drawn from Freeman Colby’s actual diary. (352 pages)
Vol. 2 : 1863 ➤
The continuing saga of Freeman Colby, featuring Nurse Sarah Low, Walt Whitman, Fannie Dawson, & more. (548 pages)
New pages appearing at the Patreon…
Vol. 3 will detail the events of 1864; Vol. 4 will detail late 1864-1865.
Marek Bennett’s historical graphic novel series details the adventures of NH school teacher Freeman Colby & several contemporaries in the Eastern Theater of the American Civil War. Drawn entirely from primary source accounts, it portrays the day-to-day realities faced by a diverse cast of participants between 1861-1865.
Check out this growing list of videos demonstrating Marek’s stick-figure historical cartooning approach… Then try drawing your own!
Take a behind-the-scenes look at some of the primary source texts & images that inform the graphic novels!
ALL POSTS TAGGED “FREEMAN COLBY”:
- Hospital Cat 2: Drawing Panels & Pages from Primary Sources - All those F.A.S.T. visual markups will really help us see the various parts of the story... So let's draw!
- Hospital Cat 1: Finding F.A.S.T. in a Primary Source Text - These simple visual tools & marks will help primary source texts COME TO LIFE on your comics page!
- Coloring Freeman Colby’s “Wilderness” - Drawing a FREEMAN COLBY VOL. 3 battle scene from May, 1864!
- “Sarah Low: Civil War Volunteer” (8p Comics Report) - How to create a quick 8-page mini "comics report" drawn from primary sources!
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #3: Nurse Sarah Low - Draw along as Marek builds a splash page of nurse Sarah Low!
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #2: Enlisting (August 1862) - Draw along as the boys enlist in the 39th Mass. Volunteers!
- D.C.+Virginia Sketchbook (October 2019) - 32 pages of diary comics, drawn while exploring Civil War historical sites & battlefields… A behind-the-scenes look at Rabbit’s footwork & research for Freeman Colby Vol. 3 (1864)! ORDERING INFO: Special print edition available to Patreon members: SAMPLE PAGES:
- Freeman Colby: From Primary Sources to Comics - Gallery of sources & the comics they inspired!
- “Freeman Colby’s Illustrated” #2 (1863) - Available SPRING 2019 with all pre-orders of FREEMAN COLBY VOL. 2 via http://www.MarekBennett.com ...
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #1: Stick Figure Soldier - History cartooning tips from VOL. 2!
- Nurse Sarah Low / “Hospital Cat” (1863) - COLOR POSTER ART: Nurse Low writes in her hospital log book while the local cat hunts rats.
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2 - 1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army.
- Freeman Colby’s Illustrated Civil War Magazine #1 (1861-62) - Announcing an all-new tabloid chock full of primary source images from the making of the graphic novel ...
- New Year’s Day, 1863 (Freeman Colby Vol. 2 / Page 1) - Guarding the Potomac w/ Freeman Colby & Jonas Bacon.
- “Drawing Freeman” / Historical New Hampshire (Vol. 71 No. 1) - Full color cover article on drawing Stick Figure Civil War comics.
- Work In Progress: Freeman Colby Vol. 2 (1863) - Currently drawing this sequel to the Colby's Civil War Diary... (Winter-Summer 2018)
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby (Vol. 1) - 1862: A NEW HAMPSHIRE TEACHER GOES TO WAR