A graphic novel epic of the American Civil War… Drawn from the diaries & letters of the real people who lived it!
Vol. 1 : 1861-62 ➤
A Yankee schoolteacher goes to war! Drawn from Freeman Colby’s actual diary. (352 pages)
Vol. 2 : 1863 ➤
The continuing saga of Freeman Colby, featuring Nurse Sarah Low, Walt Whitman, Fannie Dawson, & more. (548 pages)
New pages appearing at the Patreon!
Vol. 3 will detail the events of 1864; Vol. 4 will detail late 1864-1865.
Marek Bennett’s historical graphic novel series details the adventures of NH school teacher Freeman Colby & several contemporaries in the Eastern Theater of the American Civil War. Drawn entirely from primary source accounts, it portrays the day-to-day realities faced by a diverse cast of participants between 1861-1865.
Take a behind-the-scenes look at some of the primary source texts & images that inform the graphic novels!
How to Draw FREEMAN COLBY:
ALL POSTS TAGGED “FREEMAN COLBY”:
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #02: Enlisting (August 1862) - ← #1: Stick Figure Soldier #3: How to Draw SARAH LOW → Draw along as Marek builds an entire camp scene with basic shapes & our F.A.S.T. (Face/Action/Setting/Text) toolbox. Learn to make expressive stick figure cartoons… EVERYBODY can create comics! TOOLS: pencilpen and/or marker (black ink)paper (any size; Marek’s using 8.5″x11″)eraser Extensions, printables, & page […]
- D.C.+Virginia Sketchbook (October 2019) - 32 pages of diary comics, drawn while exploring Civil War historical sites & battlefields… A behind-the-scenes look at Rabbit’s footwork & research for Freeman Colby Vol. 3 (1864)! ORDERING INFO: Special print edition available to Patreon members: SAMPLE PAGES:
- Freeman Colby: From Primary Sources to Comics - Gallery of sources & the comics they inspired!
- “Freeman Colby’s Illustrated” #2 (1863) - Available SPRING 2019 with all pre-orders of FREEMAN COLBY VOL. 2 via http://www.MarekBennett.com ...
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #01: Stick Figure Soldier - History cartooning tips from the new book!
- Nurse Sarah Low / “Hospital Cat” (1863) - COLOR POSTER ART: Nurse Low writes in her hospital log book while the local cat hunts rats.
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2 - 1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army.
- Freeman Colby’s Illustrated Civil War Magazine #1 (1861-62) - Announcing an all-new tabloid chock full of primary source images from the making of the graphic novel ...
- New Year’s Day, 1863 (Freeman Colby Vol. 2 / Page 1) - Guarding the Potomac w/ Freeman Colby & Jonas Bacon.
- “Drawing Freeman” / Historical New Hampshire (Vol. 71 No. 1) - Full color cover article on drawing Stick Figure Civil War comics.
- Work In Progress: Freeman Colby Vol. 2 (1863) - Currently drawing this sequel to the Colby's Civil War Diary... (Winter-Summer 2018)
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby (Vol. 1) - 1862: A NEW HAMPSHIRE TEACHER GOES TO WAR