Celebrate the launch of Freeman Colby Vol.2 — Host an event with cartoonist Marek Bennett!
BASIC PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
Join cartoonist Marek Bennett as he reads from his new graphic novel, The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Volume 2, featuring real-life stories & songs from a diverse cast of historical characters. March through war-torn Virginia with teacher-turned-soldier Freeman Colby; visit hospital wards with poet Walt Whitman; tend the wounded with volunteer nurse Sarah Low; learn how Abraham Tuckson plans to free his family from slavery… Bennett also discusses his 2-year process of researching and drawing the book, and answers your questions about historical cartooning and the Civil War.
ADDITIONAL FEATURES & OPTIONS:
- READING / SIGNING EVENT: Signed books for sale, plus mini-comics & other merchandise.
- AUTHOR TALK: Marek shares his adventures hunting down & weaving together Vol. 2‘s many firsthand source texts! Topics include:
- Drawing stories from Freeman Colby‘s diary & letters.
- Basic techniques of cartooning & graphic novels
- “Who’s Who” in Vol. 2 — & why their stories matter!
- Drawing from local history resources
- Lessons from the Freeman Colby project (& sneak peeks at upcoming volumes!)
DETAILS: COMICS WORKSHOP: 1-Day Event >>
ALSO SEE: “Drawing Freeman” (Historical NH Magazine)
- COMICS WORKSHOP: This hands-on workshops demonstrates how to make your own comics based on local history source texts (or otherwise!). (For specific age levels, or for family groups) (1-3 hours / 1-3 days) DETAILS: COMICS WORKSHOP: 1-Day Event >>
Marek’s programming can accommodate any venue, including:
- BOOKSTORE / RETAIL SPACE: Wholesale rates available / advance orders through www.MarekBennett.com or IngramContent.com
- LIBRARY / NON-PROFIT SPACE: Proceeds from book sales benefit a local non-profit org (Library Friends, PTA, Historical Society, &c.)
- SCHOOL RESIDENCY: Marek leads classroom groups in a 3-5 day program to create original comics from historical source texts. Special prices available for STUDENT BOOK ORDERS and CLASS SETS.
DETAILS: COMICS WORKSHOP: Multi-Day Residency >>
- TEACHER TRAINING: Professional development for teachers on creative engagement with primary source texts! DETAILS: “Drawing from the Past” Professional Development Workshops >>
- CIVIL WAR SING-ALONG: Marek presents some of the Civil War era music featured in Volume 2, w/ period instruments & song sheets. (ALSO AVAILABLE: Marek’s Civil War band “The Hardtacks”)
- REMOTE VIDEO VISIT: Set up a special Q&A or presentation via Skype or Google Hangouts.
DETAILS: COMICS WORKSHOP: remote video visits >>
It is presumed the host will supply the following equipment & facilities on the date of the event:
- digital projector*
- screen / display surface
- Display paper & easel or other display surface*
- Chairs for audience
- Table space (for merchandise display & signing)
Please contact Marek with any setup questions.
BOOKS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE:
For available dates, see Marek’s current booking on his COMICS CALENDAR >>
To set up an event or request more information, use this form: