[Volume 2 of the Freeman Colby Series]
The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2
Drawn by Marek Bennett
Paperback: 5″x7″ / Hardcover: 5.83″x8.27″
548 pages +color cover +b&w interior
+maps +source notes +reference materials
PAPERBACK ISBN: 978-0-9824153-7-5
HARDCOVER ISBN: 978-0-9824153-9-9
PUBLISHED BY: COMICS WORKSHOP (May 2019)
1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army:
Young Freeman Colby joined the 39th Massachusetts Regiment in search of “better returns,” but now he just wants to survive the war and return home to his friends & family in New England! Marching deeper into the war-torn heart of Virginia, he crosses paths with countless fellow survivors — widows, poets, volunteer nurses, refugee children, ragged soldiers, brave mothers striving to deliver their families from slavery…
This wide-ranging graphic novel weaves together their stories with Colby’s actual letters home, laying bare the day-to-day human struggles that shaped one of the most consequential years in American history.
BISAC Subject Codes:
- YAN012010 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / Comics & Graphic Novels / Biography
- YAN012020 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / Comics & Graphic Novels / History
- YAN025210 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / History / United States / Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- Coloring Freeman Colby’s “Wilderness” - How to Draw Freeman Colby #5: “Wilderness” Poster ← #4: SARAH LOW bio mini NEXT → Here’s a series of live-draws showing the creation of a FREEMAN COLBY poster based on a painting by Winslow Homer… 1. Inking First we’ll lay down a base black & white ink drawing to outline our scene: Here’s the […]
- “Sarah Low: Civil War Volunteer” (8p Comics Report) - How to create a quick 8-page mini "comics report" drawn from primary sources!
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #3: Nurse Sarah Low - Draw along as Marek builds a splash page of nurse Sarah Low!
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #2: Enlisting (August 1862) - Draw along as the boys enlist in the 39th Mass. Volunteers!
- D.C.+Virginia Sketchbook (October 2019) - 32 pages of diary comics, drawn while exploring Civil War historical sites & battlefields… A behind-the-scenes look at Rabbit’s footwork & research for Freeman Colby Vol. 3 (1864)! ORDERING INFO: Special print edition available to Patreon members: SAMPLE PAGES:
- Freeman Colby: From Primary Sources to Comics - Gallery of sources & the comics they inspired!
- “Freeman Colby’s Illustrated” #2 (1863) - Available SPRING 2019 with all pre-orders of FREEMAN COLBY VOL. 2 via http://www.MarekBennett.com ...
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #1: Stick Figure Soldier - History cartooning tips from VOL. 2!
- Nurse Sarah Low / “Hospital Cat” (1863) - COLOR POSTER ART: Nurse Low writes in her hospital log book while the local cat hunts rats.
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2 - 1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army.
- Freeman Colby’s Illustrated Civil War Magazine #1 (1861-62) - Announcing an all-new tabloid chock full of primary source images from the making of the graphic novel ...
- New Year’s Day, 1863 (Freeman Colby Vol. 2 / Page 1) - Guarding the Potomac w/ Freeman Colby & Jonas Bacon.
- “Drawing Freeman” / Historical New Hampshire (Vol. 71 No. 1) - Full color cover article on drawing Stick Figure Civil War comics.
- Work In Progress: Freeman Colby Vol. 2 (1863) - Currently drawing this sequel to the Colby's Civil War Diary... (Winter-Summer 2018)
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby (Vol. 1) - 1862: A NEW HAMPSHIRE TEACHER GOES TO WAR
All artwork ©2019 Marek Bennett
All rights reserved. No portion of this book (except small portions for review or non-commercial purposes) may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the artist.