Drawn by Marek Bennett
5″x7″ / 540 pages
color cover / b&w interior
+maps +source notes
(Feb-March 2019) = via KICKSTARTER >>
[ TO U.S. / CANADA / & BEYOND ]
1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army:
Young Freeman Colby joined the 39th Massachusetts Regiment in search of “better returns,” but now he just wants to survive the war and return home to his friends & family in New England! Marching deeper into the war-torn heart of Virginia, he crosses paths with countless fellow survivors — widows, poets, volunteer nurses, refugee children, ragged soldiers, brave mothers striving to deliver their families from slavery…
This wide-ranging graphic novel weaves together their stories with Colby’s actual letters home, laying bare the day-to-day human struggles that shaped one of the most consequential years in American history.
Read sample pages & source notes @ PATREON.com >>
OR click to view the following page galleries:
- Nurse Sarah Low / “Hospital Cat” (1863) - COLOR POSTER ART: Nurse Low writes in her hospital log book while the local cat hunts rats.
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2 - 1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army... (PRE-ORDERING NOW @ KICKSTARTER.COM)
- Freeman Colby’s Illustrated Civil War Magazine #1 (1861-62) - Announcing an all-new tabloid chock full of primary source images from the making of the graphic novel ...
- New Year’s Day, 1863 (Freeman Colby Vol. 2 / Page 1) - Guarding the Potomac w/ Freeman Colby & Jonas Bacon.
- “Drawing Freeman” / Historical New Hampshire (Vol. 71 No. 1) - Full color cover article on drawing Stick Figure Civil War comics.
- Work In Progress: Freeman Colby Vol. 2 (1863) - Currently drawing this sequel to the Colby's Civil War Diary... (Winter-Summer 2018)
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby (Vol. 1) - 1862: A NEW HAMPSHIRE TEACHER GOES TO WAR
All artwork ©2019 Marek Bennett
All rights reserved. No portion of this book (except small portions for review or non-commercial purposes) may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the artist.