for Libraries & Camps
(Aligns w/ SUMMER 2017 CSLP READING THEME)
“BUILD A BETTER WORLD: Creating Your Comics Universe, One Panel at a Time”
Join NH teaching artist Marek Bennett’s COMICS WORKSHOP to learn how cartoonists build entire worlds and universes out of the simplest possible materials! Using only blank pages, pencils, ink, and four basic “building blocks” of stories, we’ll craft dynamic characters and rich settings, and bring them to life in comics panels, strips, and pages. We’ll also look at how artists and authors use peer feedback to improve their work, and how to supplement our new worlds with helpful maps, splash pages, and more.
This interactive workshop builds literacy skills, hones powers of imagination, shares complex project organization and self-publishing techniques, and helps young artists collaborate, appreciate, and support the work of their neighbors. Participants each create 1+ pages of original comics, and go home with the skills necessary to continue creating comics all Summer long. No experience required – everyone can draw comics! MORE INFO: www.MarekBennett.com
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 30
LENGTH OF PROGRAM: 1-3 hours
AGE RANGES: Adaptable to program needs; suggested groupings = [Elementary/age 7-10] [Pre-teen/10-13] [Teen+]
- Tables & chairs
- copy paper (8.5×11)*
* (If host cannot provide these items, please notify Marek ahead of time & he can bring them.)
Marek will bring pens, markers, art tools, & art samples.
To order your own, see TOOLS & MATERIALS >>
SUGGESTED MATERIALS & SETUP:
- digital projector*
- screen / display surface
- Display paper & easel or other display surface
- Work tables arranged in a big U or some other shape so we can all see each other & show & discuss art samples, OR…
- A circle area where we can leave our work space & gather to discuss art samples (on paper or projected)
- Clip boards (in case of over-attendance)
Contact Marek with any questions about materials & equipment.
Each participant creates 1+ pages of original comics artwork.
(Participants leave with the ability to continue working on their comics over the Summer…)
Click on image or link to view at full size.
Host can add DATE + LOCATION + REGISTRATION info in blank space.
(Please advise if you’d like to have a poster generated for your event!)
- “DRAGON” POSTER (8.5″x11″):
- “DRAGON” POSTER (WIDE) (11″x8.5″):
- “BOOK” POSTER (8.5″x11″):
- “MAP” POSTER (8.5″x11″):
- “PANELS” POSTER (8.5″x11″):
LIVE-DRAWING A BETTER WORLD!
Here’s our new series of high-speed live-drawing world-building videos:
- Build a World: Witch’s Cottage - A branchy tour of the witch's front yard, gardens, &c.:
- Build a World: Orchard Wall - A stump-hut near the top of the old Giant's Wall:
- Build a World: Cave Ruins - A quick landscape around the ruins of an ancient jungle cave site:
(More to come…)
Participants can self-publish their stories as mini-comics; here’s how:
Read along in “Build Your Own 8-Page Mini” >>
- Marek reading from Nicaragua Comics Travel Journal about building an international comics exchange between sister cities: