S. Marek Bennett
OBJECTIVE: To facilitate innovative, experiential arts-based programs in schools and community organizations.
Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction May 2004
Keene State College — WEL program, Keene, NH
NH Elementary Certification (K-8 Experienced Educator, 2007), “Highly Qualified” status (2007)
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics and Music 1997
Brown University, Providence, RI
Grades K-12 2007-Present
Comics Workshop (Various locations in New England, also in Central America & Eastern Europe)
- Design innovative arts-based curriculum for comics creation and self-publishing workshops.
- Develop and lead school residencies and other programs for students of all ages.
- Plan and coordinate professional development programs for teachers.
- Write grants to support international cultural exchanges between multiple community organizations.
- Create programs for clients including Keene State College, Monadnock Humane Society, New Hampshire National Guard, Norman Rockwell Museum, New Hampshire State Council on the Arts, Kimball-Jenkins Estate, Currier Art Center, Sharon Arts Center, Deerfield Academy, Harvard University, Weeks Act Centennial Committee, and more.
[for references, see current & archived client lists @: www.marekbennett.com/calendar ]
Grades Pre-K, 1-6 (Music, Spanish) 2007-2010
Grades 3-4, 5-6-7 (full curriculum) 2004-2007
Hopkinton Independent School, Hopkinton, NH
- Teach basic core academics full-time in multi-age independent school classrooms.
Plan, prepare, and direct special school-wide events (such as the annual Living History Festival).
- Develop project-rich and discovery-based multiple intelligences curriculum to address wide range of learning styles and needs.
- Teach specific curricular subjects (science, music, Spanish) in multiple classrooms to grades Pre-K-7.
- Develop music curriculum (coordinated with school-wide history curriculum), including regional folksong, folkdance, and instrumental instruction.
- Develop innovative technology solutions to facilitate communications with families, public relations, and marketing operations.
- Guide students in designing international learning, exchange, and fundraising initiatives (Example: Peruvian earthquake relief roadside clean-up project).
- Sing, compose, research, and perform on banjo, bass, bones, ukulele, accordion, piano, etc. with historical music duo The Hardtacks & folk band Cold River Ranters
- Draw and self-syndicate weekly comic strips & other features for newspapers
- Website design and management, graphic design.
- Digital audio and video production, with social media implementation
- Language skills: Spanish, Slovak
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- “Great Graphic Novel for Teens” (Y.A.L.S.A., 2017)
- Official Cartoonist of the Weeks Act Centennial, 2011
- Two graphic novels nominated for New England Arts Awards, 2009
- Xeric Award for Self-Publishing, 2008
- NH Department of Education “Highly Qualified Teacher” Status, 2007
- HIS Staff Award, 2006
ROSTERED TEACHING ARTIST / PRESENTER WITH:
- Children’s Literacy Foundation
- NHHC‘s “Humanities To Go” Program
- NHSCA (Arts In Education & Community Arts)
- NH State Library’s “Kids, Books, and the Arts” Presentation Series (various years)