NEXT: “Woogums #2”? →
I couldn’t think of anything to draw for WOOGUMS #2, so instead I started drawing alien gladiator champions… That’s usually how I come up with story ideas.
ACTIVITY: Draw Your Own Galactic Gladiators!
- paper (any size)
- pencil + eraser
- black inking pen/marker
- Fold a blank sheet of paper to get the half-line.
Lightly pencil a high arc & a low arc from one side of the page to the other (symmetry!):
2. Lightly pencil in four large regions for your gladiators — two on either side of the half-line (balance!). Make these regions as large as possible, so you’ll have plenty of room to draw each gladiator:
3. In each region, add a blob or crazy shape or “shape idea”… This shape will guide the character of that gladiator. I suppose I could’ve drawn any number of different shapes:
4. Working in pencil, turn each of these shapes into a gladiator (or monster or character or thingy):
(Hmmm, those faces look like they’re all seated around a table…)
Keep an eye out for setting ideas, text (word bubbles), actions, or anything else that happens as you draw.
5. All your gladiator/monster/thingies are looking at something at the bottom right of your page… What is it? This will become the focus of your image:
In the video, my focus (Woogums) appears to the right of the half-line. That disrupts the balance of the poster & makes it a little more exciting:
6. Once you have all your gladiators & focus object penciled, you can go back & trace over them in black ink (just like in the video). For extra credit, try coloring your poster!
Good luck — let us know how your gladiators turn out!