[Volume 1 of the Freeman Colby Series ]
The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby
Drawn by Marek Bennett
5”x7” / 352 pages / color cover / b&w interior / +maps +reference images
PAPERBACK ISBN: 978-0-9824153-5-1
HARDCOVER ISBN: 978-0-9824153-6-8
PUBLISHED: 2016 COMICS WORKSHOP
1862: A NEW HAMPSHIRE TEACHER GOES TO WAR
Marek Bennett’s comics adaptation of this actual Civil War memoir brings to life the dry humor and grim conviction of teacher-turned-soldier Freeman Colby. Fiercely proud of his Granite State heritage, Freeman Colby bows to no one – not the rowdy students of his rural one-room schoolhouse, not the high-handed Union army officers in town, and certainly not those Rebel traitors causing all that trouble down South. But Colby needs work, and his ne’er-do-well little brother Newton needs looking after, so the boys enlist with a new regiment promising three years’ pay and plenty of adventure in a growing war…
Includes maps (1848 New England + 1862 Maryland), reference images & sources, and more.
BISAC Subject Codes:
- YAN025210 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / History / United States / Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- YAN012020 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / Comics & Graphic Novels / History
- YAN012010 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / Comics & Graphic Novels / Biography
SPECIAL ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS?
Do you want your copy signed? To whom?
Enter instructions with your PayPal order, or use the CONTACT page >>
Dramatic reading, discussion, sketching + signing, with period banjo accompaniment!
- @ Diamond Bookshelf: “What could be even more perfect for Language Arts and Social Studies educators than a nonfiction, true story graphic novel adaptation of a Civil War memoir? The answer: A Civil War memoir about a TEACHER-TURNED-SOLDIER!”
- @ NHPR Bookshelf
- @ Ethnografix: “a huge treat”
- The Hippo: “History through pictures: Marek Bennett tackles the Civil War in new comic”
All artwork ©2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Marek Bennett
All rights reserved. No portion of this book (except small portions for review or non-commercial purposes) may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the artist. Parts of this book first appeared as episodes of the webcomic “Live Free And Draw” and “Stick Figure Civil War.”