Virtual COMICS WORKSHOPs offer lots of opportunities for creative connection & ongoing collaborations …
Keep drawing all summer long! For weekly themes, activities, & invites to live events:
To SET UP a Virtual Event:
First CONTACT Marek to set up a date.
Then we’ll get connected on your preferred video conferencing platform…
Find marekbennett on:
VIRTUAL SESSION PARAMETERS:
- SUGGESTED: Test contact ~1 week before date (in case we need to address any tech issues)
- 30-60 minutes per class
- 1-40 students (depending partly on your group, space, & AV tech)
FOR LONGER EVENTS:
If you’re planning a multi-hour or all-day event, I recommend dividing instructional time into several shorter segments, separated by independent (or semi-independent) work time:
- 30-45 min INTRO session
- 30-60 min work time (offline OR + live chat/video)
- 30-45 min UPDATE/FEEDBACK/NEXT STEPS session…
SAMPLE LONG-FORMAT EVENT:
Afternoon Summer Reading Program @ a Public Library!
1pm: INTRO VIDEO SESSION [ZOOM]:
- Marek greets the group & introduces the day’s activities.
- Group drawing activity.
- Feedback & comments
- Activity + goals for “indie work time”…
1:45-3pm: INDIE WORK TIME
- Students work at their own pace.
- Marek = available for Q+A, 1-on-1 & general instruction, etc. via chat and/or via “workalong” video)
3-4pm: GROUP SESSION (Feedback, Extensions, Q&A) [ZOOM]:
- Check in on activity
- Reading & feedback for volunteer artists
- Demo next steps
- Ideas & resources for further work
- Announce extension meeting? (see below)
With some events, we may be able to include an extension meeting up to a month after the event. This gives students some support for continued independent work, plus further contact & feedback from Marek…
- Pre-meeting reminder: Students have the option to send Marek examples of what they’ve drawn since the main event.
- ~30 min video meeting: Q&A, feedback on student work, extension activities, updates on Marek’s works in progress, links to further resources, etc.
- Post-meeting instruction available via Marek’s Patreon.
- Online gallery of student artwork, w/ resource links & notes from Marek!
WHEN HOSTING …
BEFORE THE EVENT:
For a full list of prep activities, see:
You can share COMICS WORKSHOP materials with participants & families in the lead-up weeks. For share-ready resources, see:
Current video series include:
- Comics Workshop HOW-TO = Basic skills & concepts for cartoonists…
- Let’s Draw MONSTERS! = Fantastical freaks & creatively cute creepy-crawlies…
- How to Draw FREEMAN COLBY = History cartooning, from Marek’s ongoing graphic novel series.
These videos will introduce Marek & his work to your participants ahead of time, & help them know what to expect in the workshop.
TOOLS & MATERIALS:
We can draw comics using ANY materials found around the home or classroom. For a list of useful tools & materials to have on hand at the event, see:
(That page also features some links to my suppliers, in case you or your students would like to order your own basic tools.)
AFTER THE EVENT:
For a full list of post-event resources, see:
In your follow-up emails to students & families, be sure to share my main resource page again:
I can also send topic-specific TUTORIAL videos to underscore & review basic techniques we practiced in class.
SOCIAL MEDIA &c.:
When possible, I remind students to follow me on social media & @ my Patreon, so we can keep each other updated on our work!