Here are some basic tools for the COMICS WORKSHOP classroom…
QUESTIONS? Fill out the: Materials Prep Form >>
The links below will take you to external sites that I use to order my own supplies.
TOOLS THE HOST USUALLY PROVIDES:
If you will not be able to provide these supplies, please notify Marek 2+ weeks ahead of your event.
- PENCILS & ERASERS: Just plain pencils are best! We’ll use whatever you have onsite. // SUGGESTED #: 1 per student
** EXTRA CREDIT: How about a pencil sharpener? **
- PAPER: Standard copier/printer paper, 8.5″x11″ and/or 11″x17″ // SUGGESTED #: 10+ pages per student (best to have a whole ream handy)
The following supplies are optional niceties:
- RULERS: Ideally 1″ wide; we may use them to mark off panel borders & draw straight lines. // SUGGESTED #: 1 per every 2-4 students
- 2-POCKET FOLDERS: These help artists organize & protect works in progress. // SUGGESTED #: 1 per student
- SCISSORS + PAPERCLIPS + other standard office supplies…
TOOLS MAREK USUALLY BRINGS:
Hosts may want to pre-order their own sets for post-event use:
These provide a controlled, variable line with good solid black coverage. They dry quickly, and they’re washable, too. These pens (and the markers below) are MUCH easier to use than brushes & nibs & bottles of ink — especially for younger artists.
(Standard price = ~$1.50 each / order from DickBlick.com >>… )
(Remember, we use only the BLACK pens in our workshops!)
SUGGESTED #s: 1 pen for every 1-2 students OR 2-4 classroom sets total (of 2 dozen pens each)
These have an excellent chisel-tip, which enables young artists to both fill areas and start exploring line weight with a very controlled instrument. They also dry quickly and wash easily. WE USE ONLY THE BLACK MARKERS, but they do come in other colors….
(Standard price = ~$0.40 each / Order from DickBlick.com >>)
SUGGESTED #: Same as pens… OR somewhat fewer.
= a great investment for creative projects! // SUGGESTED #: Not necessary, but useful! (Your local art room or library may already have one.)
BUDGETING YOUR PROGRAM:
|Consumable tools & materials (pens, pencils, rulers, paper, etc.):||~$3 per student*|
* For larger groups, we’ll require fewer than 1 marker & pen per student. For example, 3-4 dozen pens (~$70 total) and markers (~$15 total) can be shared among 80-120 students during the residency…
|RECOMMENDED: 2-pocket folder for each student (useful for programs longer than 1 class):||~$0.50 per student|
|OPTIONAL: Photocopies (in booklet form, assembled by students) of work by each student:||~$0.10-$3 per student|
|OPTIONAL: Sample comics [i.e. Breakfast at Mimi’s or Hour 72! or Slovakia … Often summer programs include a book in each student’s materials fee, while school & library programs opt to have books for sale at the culminating event]:||$0-10 per student|
$3-13 per student.
- digital projector
- extension cords / power strips
- blank projection surface (wall, screen, whiteboard, etc.)
- display paper + easel
WORKSHOPS & CLASSROOM VISITS:
- digital projector + cart (for easy transport between classrooms)
- blank copier paper
- basic comics tools (either for the school, or for individual artists to take home after the workshop)