BEFORE / Basic COMICS WORKSHOP tools:
REMOTE STUDENTS: I’ll assume you have the basic MUST HAVEs listed below. You’re welcome to use whatever tools are handy, however — I recommend experimenting & seeing which tools work best for your comics style & approach.
JUMP TO: “Must Haves” | “Nice to Haves” | “Also Used” | Facilities &c.
- PAPER: Standard copier/printer paper, 8.5″x11″ (A3) …
(best to have a whole ream handy).
WARNING: Pens & markers will bleed through standard paper, so we draw on ONLY ONE SIDE of each sheet. // [ Order 8.5″x11″ white paper here→ ]
- PENCILS & ERASERS: 1 per student
These provide a controlled, variable line with good solid black coverage. They dry quickly, and they’re washable, too. These pens (and the markers below) are MUCH easier to use than brushes & nibs & bottles of ink — especially for younger artists.
REMEMBER: Order BLACK pens for inking comics.
TIP: Order a box of 1 dozen pens to get a better price.
SUGGESTED #s: 1 pen for every 1-2 students OR 2-4 classroom sets total (of 2 dozen pens each)
Feel free to use any other kind of artistic (black ink) pen you’re comfortable with.
“NICE TO HAVES”:
These supplies are handy, if you happen to have them in your supply closet…
These have an excellent chisel-tip, which enables young artists to both fill areas and start exploring line weight with a very controlled instrument. They also dry quickly and wash easily. WE USE ONLY THE BLACK MARKERS, but they do come in other colors….
SUGGESTED #: Same as pens… OR somewhat fewer.
- RULERS: Ideally 1″ wide; we may use them to mark off panel borders & draw straight lines. // SUGGESTED #: 1 per every 2-4 students
- CLIPBOARDS: Useful if not all students are at desks/tables.
- SCISSORS + PAPERCLIPS + other standard office supplies…
These items are very USEFUL, but not at all necessary…
- CARDSTOCK: This is extra-thick paper (like bristol board, only cheaper). Your markers won’t bleed through, & it makes really sturdy booklets.
WARNING: This thicker, heavier paper can be harder to print/photocopy on.
- 11×17 / A4 PAPER: This size provides a great big surface for drawing!
- CLIPS/BINDERS: Anything to keep those pages organized…
- 2-POCKET FOLDERS: These help artists organize & protect works in progress. // SUGGESTED #: 1 per student // [ Order 2-pocket folders here → ]
The following equipment is ideal for in-person visits:
- digital projector
- extension cords / power strips
- blank projection surface (wall, screen, whiteboard, etc.)
- display paper + easel
WORKSHOPS & CLASSROOM VISITS:
- digital projector + cart (for easy transport between classrooms)
- blank copier paper
- basic comics tools (either as school supplies, or for individual artists to take home after the workshop)