[Volume 2 of the Freeman Colby Series]
The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2
Drawn by Marek Bennett
Paperback: 5″x7″ / Hardcover: 5.83″x8.27″
548 pages +color cover +b&w interior
+maps +source notes +reference materials
PAPERBACK ISBN: 978-0-9824153-7-5
HARDCOVER ISBN: 978-0-9824153-9-9
PUBLISHED BY: COMICS WORKSHOP (May 2019)
NOTE: Orders from this site include a complimentary “Freeman Colby’s Illustrated” magazine.
1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army:
Young Freeman Colby joined the 39th Massachusetts Regiment in search of “better returns,” but now he just wants to survive the war and return home to his friends & family in New England! Marching deeper into the war-torn heart of Virginia, he crosses paths with countless fellow survivors — widows, poets, volunteer nurses, refugee children, ragged soldiers, brave mothers striving to deliver their families from slavery…
This wide-ranging graphic novel weaves together their stories with Colby’s actual letters home, laying bare the day-to-day human struggles that shaped one of the most consequential years in American history.
BISAC Subject Codes:
- YAN012010 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / Comics & Graphic Novels / Biography
- YAN012020 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / Comics & Graphic Novels / History
- YAN025210 YOUNG ADULT NONFICTION / History / United States / Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- Freeman Colby: From Primary Sources to Comics - Here’s a gallery of some Civil War primary sources & resulting comics pages from the Freeman Colby series: Vol. 1: The Diary Freeman Colby Vol. 1 started out as a (more or less) direct visual interpretation of Colby’s written “diary” (click any image to view @ full size): Adding Visual Reference Where Colby provides no […]
- “Freeman Colby’s Illustrated” #2 (1863) - Available SPRING 2019 with all pre-orders of FREEMAN COLBY VOL. 2 via http://www.MarekBennett.com ...
- How to Draw Freeman Colby #01: Stick Figure Soldier - History cartooning tips from the new book!
- Nurse Sarah Low / “Hospital Cat” (1863) - COLOR POSTER ART: Nurse Low writes in her hospital log book while the local cat hunts rats.
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby, Vol. 2 - 1863: The continuing saga of a Yankee school teacher in the Union Army.
- Freeman Colby’s Illustrated Civil War Magazine #1 (1861-62) - Announcing an all-new tabloid chock full of primary source images from the making of the graphic novel ...
- New Year’s Day, 1863 (Freeman Colby Vol. 2 / Page 1) - Guarding the Potomac w/ Freeman Colby & Jonas Bacon.
- “Drawing Freeman” / Historical New Hampshire (Vol. 71 No. 1) - Full color cover article on drawing Stick Figure Civil War comics.
- Work In Progress: Freeman Colby Vol. 2 (1863) - Currently drawing this sequel to the Colby's Civil War Diary... (Winter-Summer 2018)
- The Civil War Diary of Freeman Colby (Vol. 1) - 1862: A NEW HAMPSHIRE TEACHER GOES TO WAR
All artwork ©2019 Marek Bennett
All rights reserved. No portion of this book (except small portions for review or non-commercial purposes) may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the artist.